Mindfulness is the awareness that emerges through paying attention on purpose, in the present moment, and nonjudgmentally, to things as they are. Mindfulness practice helps us to live more fully in the present moment. It helps us to see more clearly how our mind works.
Mindfulness helps us to relate to our thoughts and emotions in a new way which can lead to a life lived more fully in the present. We can learn through mindfulness ways of being more patient and kind with ourselves.
Regular mindfulness practice can reduce the impact of stress, reduce chronic pain, improve sleep, reduce blood pressure, improve physical health and control over negative emotions like anxiety and depression.
During the webinar, we look at finding what matters to you and learning skills to live a meaningful life. We also introduce the topic of self-kindness, why it is so important to foster a positive mental wellbeing, and how we can deepen kindness towards ourselves.
Key topics covered:
- Autopilot versus mindful headspace: what do we mean by having our ‘thoughts in autopilot’? How can we be more present in our lives, and identify our thoughts and emotions in the moment?
- Wise mind: we discuss the difference between reasonable, emotional and wise mind states.
- Pushing and pulling versus accepting our negative emotions: how do we learn to accept the negative as well as the positive in our lives? How can we be at peace with distressing thoughts and feelings?
- ‘The Golden Ball’ mindfulness exercise: practicing thinking kindly and positively about the self
- ‘Soothing touch’ mindfulness exercise: practicing a ‘soothing touch’ to develop feelings of self-kindness